Illegitimis Non Carborundum

Sunday, August 2, 2009

A glance into the past......

Lately, I've been really interested in the "history" of my city and especially my area of my city. Philadelphia is broken down into little sections and there is a lot of history in each of these sections. I've found books some really interesting books at the library that have been written about the areas and even found one about Philadelphia Cemeteries.

I've always been a cemetery person. I've lost close family members and friends and find peace when I go to the cemetery to "visit" them. So to me , it's not strange to just walk around a cemetery and even take some pictures. The older the cemetery the better!

During our adventures yesterday, we found this really cool cemetery out in one of the suburb areas of Philadelphia. It's behind a catholic church there and doesn't have many graves like a typical cemetery does. But it was really old in there! The most recent dates we could find on a stone were from 1954. Most of the ages that the people were when the passed were on the stones and there were a lot of 60+ yr old deceased people. Guess that was considered old!

Some of the grave markers were half buried themselves. And the stones were very thin and worn. You couldn't even read the writing on some of them, they were so worn away. I always walk around and think about the people. What life must have been like back in the 1800s. The things they must have seen and gone through. I thought I was hot just walking around there in my shorts and tshirt. I can't imagine what they wore and how hot it must have been in those clothes. I got back into my air conditioned truck. Can you imagine a time with no A/C??

I enjoy reading about the history of the towns and I love to imagine what it was like. It must have been really something!!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful picture.
    I always think about how easy we have it. Thank Goodness I was born when I was...I would have shriveled in the heat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great picture Lori. We do the same thing you do so I don't think you're weird at all.

    ReplyDelete

So, whatcha thinkin?