Illegitimis Non Carborundum

Friday, April 3, 2009

It amazes me.....

that I could go 43 years or maybe a little less, not knowing certain things. Let's give me at least 10 years because you don't get some things until you are at least 10. So for at least 33 years, I have thought certain sayings were said certain ways, only to find that, through reading a book, I'm wrong.

What the heck is she talking about? Ok, I'll give you an example. For all intents and purposes. That's the phrase/saying you guys all know and use. Not me, I thought it was......for all intensive purposes. Don't ask. I just did. How about this one? If you think I'm going to do _______, you have another think coming. I thought it was "you have another thing coming, that was until I read it in a book a few months back. And thanks to another book, the saying Up and At 'Em is now being said and used correctly by me. I always thought it was Up and Adam. And what that meant, I did not know. I just said it that way. I figured there was a story behind dear old Adam and I didn't really care. Now I know better. Funny thing was, that I learned it was Up and At 'em because of a child in a book. She would kid with her dad and say who is Adam? And they would laugh.


I think they were secretly laughing at me.


I'm wondering how many other saying are out there that I'm just saying wrong or using wrong or even undertanding incorrectly. I guess I'll keep reading my books and find out.



1 comment:

  1. I have learned SO much stuff like that from books! And trust me, you are not alone, I've seen a lot of people on the internet make those same mistakes.

    ReplyDelete

So, whatcha thinkin?