Illegitimis Non Carborundum

Friday, April 3, 2009

Library Week?

National Library week is April 12-18 this year! I saw this on this post on AT HOME WITH BOOKS, and thought I'd borrow the questions.

How often do you use your public library and how do you use it?
Has the coffeehouse/bookstore replaced the library?
Did you go to the library as a child?
Do you have any particular memories of the library?
Do you like sleek, modern, active libraries or the older, darker, quiet, cozy libraries?

I'm sure everyone who knows me knows that I love libraries. I would die without them. Our local branch was in danger of closing and my daughter and I were right there on the front steps with our picket signs. So far we are still open. I've heard rumors that things may change come June when the schools let out but I guess we'll see. I can adjust and go to another branch with no problem but it was cool having one within walking distance.

I loved the library when I was a little girl too. I've always loved to read and I remember riding my bike on Saturday mornings to the library. How would I ever have gotten ahold of "Are You There God, It's Me Margaret"? I would have missed some great reads when I was a kid without the library. The kids always loved going to the library. That's sort of changing as they are getting older. Too many other gadgets for them to play with and places to go now that they are older. We'll still go on a quick trip after school, but it's nothing like it was when they were little. Gosh I miss that!

I've told the kids a number of times to find me a nice "retirement community" that is near a library or a bus route that I can get to the library. I just can't imagine not being close to one!

3 comments:

  1. "I've told the kids a number of times to find me a nice "retirement community" that is near a library or a bus route that I can get to the library. I just can't imagine not being close to one!"

    We'll have to book a double room. I've told my kids the same thing. Can you imagine...the two of us... blue hair and polyester pantsuits...walking to the library...swinging our purple handbags :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And then going out to lunch! Perfect day girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll catch the "early Bird" Special ;o)

    ReplyDelete

So, whatcha thinkin?