Illegitimis Non Carborundum

Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Every day!

Every day I drive my son to work and I drive right past the Starbucks that they just built. Every day there are people sitting outside, sipping their drinks, relaxing with their books or laptops. Every day I think, that just looks so relaxing.

I'm not a big coffee drinker but I'm sure I could find something on their menu to make me happy. I would love to do that some day. Just stop in, get a drink, go out on the patio and pull out my book, prop up my feet and chill.

In theory, it sounds heavenly. In my head I'd be thinking, I could do this at home and then I'd be there when the dryer goes off, be able to throw another load into the washer. I'm sure my mind would wonder. I'd be looking around at the cars that drive by. I'd start wondering, thinking of all the things I should be doing instead. I'd notice that one of the cars has a light out. I need to get a headlight for my truck. I'd be wishing I had my camera to get some pictures of things, like the plane taking off from the airport next to the Starbucks. I would love to get a shot of that huge flag on the car dealership. I need to run to school and pay the tuiton. I need to get to the credit union, stop at Walmart and hit the grocery store for dinner. I could be doing a mile on the treadmill or some time on the elipitical. I could be catching up with my shows on demand. Or I could be going back to bed since I only got 4 hours of sleep before I took the kid to work!

I just can't seem to be able to just sit and relax like I see these people doing. I just lack the discipline to just sit there and do one thing. I really wish I could because it just looks so lovely!
I missed some great shots today because I didn't think to take my camera with me when I went to pick up J at work. I could kick myself. Of course when I take it with me tomorrow, there won't be anything exciting to take pictures of. That always happens!

I did manage to get a mile done on the treadmill today! I really think I'm going to do a few more days of a mile and then bump it up. It's only taking me 20 minutes to do the mile. Time to step it up a little!

I'm still reading Undone by Karin Slaughter. It's really good and part of me wants to savor it because it's going to be a while till the next book in the series. The other part wants to rip through it and see where some of these characters are going! I'll be done by this weekend hopefully! That's if I stop falling asleep while I'm reading. I have a few other books on the back burner that I want to get to soon too.

Off to read my book! TTFN!

6 comments:

  1. Well, if you ever want to people watch Starbucks is a good place to do so Lori. Maybe one weekend you can relax there. My kids love to go and get hot chocolate from there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori~

    You definitely need to go to that Starbucks. It necessary to slow down and enjoy. Start small...20 minutes. You can sit and read for that short time, or take your new laptop and blog.

    I don't drink coffee either but they have a really good passion fruit iced tea as well as a great chocolate banana "smoothie".

    You'll find it's really a nice time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at chocolate banana......

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good!!

    So, your mission...should you choose to accpt it (and you will!!)...is to go to that Starbucks, order a Chocolate Banana Vivanno, sit for twenty minutes and read a book. I will expect a blog about your experience :o)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm the same way a lot of the time. I just can't shut my brain off!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now all I need is the time to actually do this!

    ReplyDelete

So, whatcha thinkin?