Illegitimis Non Carborundum

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

I have this story....

that I tell on July 15th every year. Fifteen years ago, I was laying in a hospital bed. I had an IV of pitocin that wasn't working for anything! I also had the most stubborn baby in the world inside of me.

After midnight, I was just sleeping, or trying to sleep. My husband seemed to be having no problem doing just that in that big comfy lounge chair they brought him. His belly was full and he was done for the night.

As I drifted in and out of my light sleep, I kept hearing this awful noise, this loud crashing noise. It seems that after midnight is the absolute best time to change flourescent lightbulbs in a hospital hallway on the maternity ward. And so not to tire himself out too much, the dear gentleman that was doing this task decided that instead of going up and down the ladder, it was much easier to "throw" the old bulbs into the empty trash can in the middle of the hallway. What a lovely sound, those crashing, breaking, shattering light bulbs made. One I'll never forget, not even 15 years later.

My darling baby boy did not seem to be annoyed by the noise at all. He stayed put, all snuggly warm, right where he was. He didn't seem to care that people were trying to poke at him, or giving me medicine that would make him come faster. He figured if he just ignored, they would leave him alone.

He decided that if anyone wanted him, they would have to come and get him and he would not be happy when they did. He would have to be pulled out of this wonderful place and he would do so with the loudest of cries, kicking and screaming the whole time.

I went in at noon on July 14, 1994 and did not get to hold my sweet baby boy until 6:06PM on July 15, 1994 after my c-section. He wasn't going to make any of this easy!
I try not to mention too many times that his due date was July 1, 1994. I try not to bore him with the details of the worker in the hallway but it never fails that I manage to tell the story every year. I feel it's my right. I lived through it, like a warrior! It didn't kill me, only made me stronger! I am woman!

So, Happy Birthday to my sweet baby boy! I remember every minute of that day like it was yesterday! I love you! Hugs and kisses!






4 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to him again Lori. What a wonderful birth story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe that crazy guy was throwing the bulbs! They'd flip if someone did that here.
    Happy Birthday to that stubborn boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story!
    I love that Moms always remember every detail of the births.
    Happy Birthday, J!!

    ReplyDelete

So, whatcha thinkin?